Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just getting started...

For the Environmental Science class that I'm in, I was assigned to do an advocasy project for which I would do work with over the course of this year. Because I have a love for animals, I decided I would center my project around that and found the topic of feral cats to be very interesting. Feral cats have no human contact and are therefore considered "wild". They are a topic that our society should be concerned about because of their rapid rate of reproduction. A pair of these feral cats can produce up to 420,000 offspring in only 7 years!! In the United States alone there are an estimated 70 million feral cats that are depleting bird populations along with chipmunks and rabbits. It is critical for the community to recognize the growing problem with this species because it could deplete the biodiversity in our ecosystems which would lead to even more problems. If you are interested in learning any further information about feral cats here's some good websites...http://www.feralcat.com/ , www.alleycat.org

No comments:

Post a Comment